Saturday, August 29, 2009

Producer Notes: Don Mock - "Guitar Secrets Melodic Minor"

Does the world really need yet another book on scales? That was my question when talking with the guys at Warner Bros. about a new book series on scales for guitarists. But once I dove into the project, I realized that I had a lot of thing to say about the melodic minor scale that I had not seen in prior books. I’m very happy with the results, although a bit embarrassed about the humorous marketing theme making me out to be a spy revealing secret information. The book is, however, a true look at the scale from a players perspective. The key to getting the most out of the melodic minor (and harmonic minor) is mastering the art of “superimposition.” Rather than thinking in terms of modes, this technique has you learn only the one scale and simply superimpose it over chords in various ways. A natural approach for the guitar, an instrument that resembles a “slide rule.”
The accompanying audio CD was the most important part for me. I wanted you to be able to hear all the examples played in musical situations. I also used it as a forum to say lots more about the melodic minor. I want to thank Aaron Stang at Warner for all his valuable help on this book. I hope you check it out.
- Don Mock 3/01

No comments:

Post a Comment